Humbled by a Blooming Desert


My good friend, Wendy, who is a college professor in Palm Springs, recently shared an inspiring insight with me:
I have been amazed and humbled this spring in the desert. For the first two years I was here, we had no rain. Then this past winter, we've had some rain every weekend. There were bushes that had all dried up--they looked like dead sticks. The rain came--after 2 years--and they started to turn green. Now, they are covered with flower blossoms!
Imagine believing, hoping, enduring for 3 years with no nourishment. Imagine then, with just 5 inches of rain total, coming out in your full glory.
Do I have faith enough to endure 3 years of waiting for my basic needs to be met--let alone all the frilly little things I ask for????? Do I store up enough nourishment to withstand three years onslaught of parched sand? And then coming out with all the best I have inside of me with no apparent bitterness for the wait?

Comments

Keetha said…
There are some desert plants - - - they are spike mosses of the lycophyta division - - - which are called RESURRECTION PLANTS for their ability to do just what you described!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Wesleyan Apostolic Succession

Financial Struggles Help Us Grow

The World Needs More Encouragers