Wilderness Writings

Some wilderness books I've been reading lately are:

1. Helen Hoover's A Place in the Woods.

Hoover and her husband, Ade, left the rat race of the big city, and bought a place deep in the northwoods. This is a description of their life with the animals, birds, forest -- and occasional neighbor. It doesn't really have plot, and moves slowly -- but it's great for relaxation! Also, living the woods myself, I'm inspired to take better notice of the details around me.

2. Listening Point by Sigurd Olson

I have read all of Olson's works, as well as his biography. He is, by far, my favorite nature writer.

"Listening Point" was the moniker Olson gave to the special place he found by canoe near Ely, Minnesota.

In Olson's words, "I named this place 'Listening Point' because only when I come to listen, only when one is aware, and still, can things be seen and heard. It does not have to be in the north or close to the wilderness, but some place of quiet where the universe can be contemplated with awe."

3. Wilderness Visionaries by Dale Vickery

This is a collection of short biographies of several "champions of nature." He highlights the lives of Leopold, Thoreau, Muir, and Sig Olson, along with a few others.

These books help me to grasp the line of William Blake, which says:
To see eternity in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower;
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
and eternity in an hour.



,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies