John Wesley's Holy Club Questions

While students at Oxford, John Wesley and a few friends (including his brother, Charles, and George Whitefield) formed a group called "The Holy Club." The purpose was to deepen their faith, and help them to live it day by day.

They created the following list of personal reflection questions to be used during their daily private devotions (I suggest you read them in light of Romans 8:1):

1. Am I creating the impression that I am better than I am?
2. Am I honest in all my acts and words?
3. Do I break confidence -- tell others' secrets?
4. Am I a slave to dress, friends, work, habits?
5. Can I be trusted?
6. Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?
7. Did God's Word live in me today?
8. Am I enjoying my prayer time?
9. When was the last time I shared my faith?
10. Do I pray about the money I spend?
11. Do I go to bed on time and get up on time?
12. Do I disobey God in anything?
13. Do I have an uneasy conscience?
14. Am I defeated in any part of my life?
15. Am I jealous, impure, critical, touchy, irritible, or distrustful?
16. Am I proud?
17. How do I spend my spare time?
18. Do I thank God that I am not like others?
19. Is there anyone I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, disregard or resent?
20. Do I grumble and complain?
21. Is Christ real to me?

Comments

  1. Anonymous9:44 AM

    These 21 questions should be the Wesleyan Discipline. In fact any Christian's rules to live by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just received my graded C28 coursework from you and noticed the link to your blog tagged on the end. It's so delightful to know a bit more about the man behind the e-mail address! I'll be looking around ... oh, and working on Unit #4, of course!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings