The Board of General Superintendents of the Wesleyan Church has released a Pastoral Letter on the Economy.
I think they did an outstanding job of encouraging the churches to act in faith and wisdom during these troubled times.
They are calling us to be. . .
• Disciplined because many of us have consumed too much of the world’s resources on
ourselves. This can be a time to control our cravings and determine to live more simply.
• Generous because there are people who are (or will be) going without some of the
necessities of life and we have an obligation to share with them in Jesus’ name.
• Prayerful because the problems that plague our world will not be solved by throwing
money at them, but by God intervening with justice and grace.
• Courageous because fear and panic are not becoming to the people of God. The peace of
Christ allows us to approach life’s difficulties with calm, deliberate, confident steps.
• Creative because the mind of Christ inspires His followers to think more clearly of how
to minister to others and to society in ways that spread hope and holiness that transform