I'm not really a party animal. In fact, usually, if I'm invited to a party of some sort or another, I try to find a good reason to graciously decline the invitation. It's not that I don't enjoy people, mind you. In general, they're fantastic. Like Will Rogers said, "I've never met a man I didn't like." I am thankful for all my good friends. Yep, I like people a lot -- but I dislike going to parties. (Although, if I get stuck and actually end up attending one, it usually turns out better than I imagined. In the car, on the way home, I've heard Cathy say more than once, "There now, that wasn't so bad, was it?" I reply with a mumble and grunt, because I know she's right. Still -- I'm not an eager party-goer, and seriously doubt if I will ever become one. Do you know what kind of party is the most common? Birthday? Graduation? Aniversary? You'll never guess! The party held most frequently is. . . The Pity Party! As a minis...
What ever happened to the idea that a dictionary was a complete collection of words in usage in the English language?????? I wonder how they get the right to decide what is and what is not a word. Hmmmmmmmmm
ReplyDeleteOK now, I just gotta tell ya - - - the more I "ruminate" on this, the angrier it is making me.
ReplyDeleteIt isn't even the fact that these are church world words they have left out - - - - it makes me ask myself, "what OTHER words did they also omit?"
Seems to me that a dictionary should reflect and record word history and not attempt to alter, change, and especially not FORM it.
I think Daniel Webster is turning in his grave.
GRRRRRRRRRRR
Why should this surprise any of us? Any book we read should be read with 'a grain of salt'.
ReplyDeleteAny book we read, including a dictionary or encyclopedia, is a collection of what the author feels is important. Any author puts forth the message he/she wants to get across.
When we read/hear an 'eye-witness' account by the news, it is a bias opinion.
For example when an American and Russian were in a two-man race. The American won the race. When it was reported by Americans, they said America won and Russia came in second. When it was reported by Russians, they said Russia came in second and America came in second to last.
Definition of Sin--something someone else does that others deem is wrong?
ReplyDeleteSin was left out of this dictionary probably because the author feels like so many other people today. Sin is only something others do. When we do the wrong deed, we are only being human, or perhaps at most making a tiny mistake.
Phil
At the end of the article, a spokesperson explains that the dictionary was designed to reflect words that children commonly come across at home and school.
ReplyDeleteAs a Sunday school teacher of seven year olds, I can tell you from experience that "sin" is not a word many of the kids have in their vocabulary. So could it be that even for "churched" kids, this isn't a word they commonly come across in church, either?
Something to think about.