Apostles and Earrings
I wonder if this belonged to one of the apostles? Simon the Zealot strikes me as the kind of guy who would wear an earring. I recall the time, when I was graduating from seminary, I received an invitation to start a new congregation in a college town. In the letter, they outlined the vision, the demographics of the community, and their expectations for the pastor. The letter ended with a p.s. -- "and of course, your wife will not be permitted to wear earrings." They forgot say anything about ME wearing earrings. For a while, I was tempted to go ahead, take the position, and get my ear pierced.

Interesting last line... "nobody notices..." You can be sure Someone notices!
ReplyDeleteMaybe the sadder thing here is that we've all failed to notice, or concern ourselves with, the spiritually dead among us.
ReplyDeleteNaomi,
ReplyDeleteEven before I read your comment, the first thought that struck me was...
How many spiritually dead are we ignoring? How many of these are our neighbors, or perhaps even sitting in the same pew Sunday after Sunday being ignored by the rest of us.
ISN'T IT AMAZING THAT A LOWLY OFFICE CLEANER WAS THE ONE WHO NOTICED?
ReplyDeleteCleaners are in demand in this tourism oriented neck of the woods.
ReplyDeleteNothing lowly about a one of them
Couldn't anyone SMELL the decomp??????
ReplyDeleteThis article looks (and smells) a little fishy to me. You're right, Keetha, there would have been a horrible stench--unless they kept that office below freezing! Even something as small as a dead squirrel in the house would stink after a couple of days.
ReplyDeleteI think Mark just tossed this out to see what we'd do with it. :)
True or Not, this is something we should all think about.
ReplyDeleteNo biological family, no church family, no workplace family...
What a lonely, forsaken guy. Would we have noticed?
Cleaner, janitors, custodial workers are definitely not lowly. I think anonymous was just jabbing at all the other executives or workers with important titles who probably looked on this man and the office cleaner as people who are really not important. Not important enough to take a second for them to notice.
ReplyDeleteI think the real moral of the story is, you should care enough to say hi to the people around you. We always think that it's always related to telling them about Jesus, but it's also about caring about how they're doing period. Read James 2:14-17
ReplyDelete"it's also about caring about how they're doing period."
ReplyDeleteYES, AMEN!
Some of us love to talk about who we know that is famous. I guess what really matters is who we have not taken the time to know.
ReplyDeleteThe moral of the story is to keep busy at work -- that way people will notice if you're dead
ReplyDelete