I watched this twice and am left with some mixed messages. The kids are bored by traditional instruction and feel they're at a disadvantage unless the latest technology can be used whenever and wherever they want it...and ask to be "engaged"--but only digitally--because they create and learn best alone (isolated). Yet they seem to crave teachers who will inspire them--just don't ask them to read a book or write with a pencil or communicate face to face--although these are useful skills in any society.
In my mind, "digital" also conjures up another image--fingers! Hands-on learning!!
Technology can certainly enhance our lives and expand our knowledge, but we need to be aware of what it's costing us in other areas. So here's one old stick-in-the-mud who plans to keep it simple!
Good following thought! "Technology can certainly enhance our lives and expand our knowledge, but we need to be aware of what it's costing us in other areas. So here's one old stick-in-the-mud who plans to keep it simple!"
Our college saw a similar video clip about a year ago only it had college students sending this same "message". Same author/producer I believe. What it means to us as a higher learning institution is that we are now investigating our own methods of creating podcasts and webinars for our classrooms. Our students are no longer "sitting" in the classroom; they are learning while in their living rooms, wi-fi centers, automobiles etc. They are mobile like no other generation before them.
The amount of information that a K-12 student has to absorb now is hundreds of times more and at a rate much faster than what my grandfather's generation had to process as he was growing up. The message is correct when it says we have to teach our children "how" to learn because they will be researching so much more than they will be memorizing as they grow up and enter the workplace. Though it would be nice to say that my education has provided all I need to know for my workplace, it is not. Most jobs now change quickly, requiring new technology, processing and methods in order to stay viable. Perhaps, just perhaps, our church message must remain the same and remain simple, but it's mode of delivery might want to consider expanding?
I wonder if this belonged to one of the apostles? Simon the Zealot strikes me as the kind of guy who would wear an earring. I recall the time, when I was graduating from seminary, I received an invitation to start a new congregation in a college town. In the letter, they outlined the vision, the demographics of the community, and their expectations for the pastor. The letter ended with a p.s. -- "and of course, your wife will not be permitted to wear earrings." They forgot say anything about ME wearing earrings. For a while, I was tempted to go ahead, take the position, and get my ear pierced.
A pastor friend e-mailed me with this question yesterday: I am working with a well-intentioned man who is considering becoming a part of our congregation. After exploring Wesleyan Doctrine, he is hung up on one thing- that we allow women in ministry. He believes that 1Timothy 2:8-15 is a clear Biblical prohibition against females in ministry. I have always understood Paul's teaching on women in public worship environements in Corinthians and Timothy to be context driven and not a broad theological statement. This has been a learning experience for me because I learned that I was unprepared to defend our Wesleyan position, I had just accepted it. Any Biblical direction, orginal language clues, or historical perspective you could offer would be most welcomed. He is not bigoted about women, he feels they are equal in the eyes of the Lord but have been assigned different duties/roles in the kingdom. How would you respond to his question?
I'm not really a party animal. In fact, usually, if I'm invited to a party of some sort or another, I try to find a good reason to graciously decline the invitation. It's not that I don't enjoy people, mind you. In general, they're fantastic. Like Will Rogers said, "I've never met a man I didn't like." I am thankful for all my good friends. Yep, I like people a lot -- but I dislike going to parties. (Although, if I get stuck and actually end up attending one, it usually turns out better than I imagined. In the car, on the way home, I've heard Cathy say more than once, "There now, that wasn't so bad, was it?" I reply with a mumble and grunt, because I know she's right. Still -- I'm not an eager party-goer, and seriously doubt if I will ever become one. Do you know what kind of party is the most common? Birthday? Graduation? Aniversary? You'll never guess! The party held most frequently is. . . The Pity Party! As a minis...
I watched this twice and am left with some mixed messages. The kids are bored by traditional instruction and feel they're at a disadvantage unless the latest technology can be used whenever and wherever they want it...and ask to be "engaged"--but only digitally--because they create and learn best alone (isolated). Yet they seem to crave teachers who will inspire them--just don't ask them to read a book or write with a pencil or communicate face to face--although these are useful skills in any society.
ReplyDeleteIn my mind, "digital" also conjures up another image--fingers! Hands-on learning!!
Technology can certainly enhance our lives and expand our knowledge, but we need to be aware of what it's costing us in other areas. So here's one old stick-in-the-mud who plans to keep it simple!
Naomi,
ReplyDeleteGood following thought!
"Technology can certainly enhance our lives and expand our knowledge, but we need to be aware of what it's costing us in other areas. So here's one old stick-in-the-mud who plans to keep it simple!"
Could we not say the same about our churches???
Our college saw a similar video clip about a year ago only it had college students sending this same "message". Same author/producer I believe. What it means to us as a higher learning institution is that we are now investigating our own methods of creating podcasts and webinars for our classrooms. Our students are no longer "sitting" in the classroom; they are learning while in their living rooms, wi-fi centers, automobiles etc. They are mobile like no other generation before them.
ReplyDeleteThe amount of information that a K-12 student has to absorb now is hundreds of times more and at a rate much faster than what my grandfather's generation had to process as he was growing up. The message is correct when it says we have to teach our children "how" to learn because they will be researching so much more than they will be memorizing as they grow up and enter the workplace. Though it would be nice to say that my education has provided all I need to know for my workplace, it is not. Most jobs now change quickly, requiring new technology, processing and methods in order to stay viable. Perhaps, just perhaps, our church message must remain the same and remain simple, but it's mode of delivery might want to consider expanding?
Great Insights. As long as the mode of delivery does not become more important than the message.
ReplyDelete