Mother's Day Sermon


Yesterday I preached a sermon about Tears. It was sparked a couple of months ago, when I was visiting my mother in Ohio, and discovered an old Bible (from the 1800's) that belonged to my great grandfather, John Wilson and his wife Juda.

In this photo, John's the guy in the front on the left. Juda is in the middle.

I was surprised to find an old handkerchief in the Bible, which I surmise, belonged to Juda. . . It was quite a treasure to discover and set me to pondering . . . what made Juda cry? What life experiences brought tears to her eyes?

That led me to wonder what the Bible says about tears. So, I launched into a deep Scripture study -- which really blessed my heart.

On Sunday morning, I shared my findings with the congregation.

Here are my notes for you to decipher:

What does Bible Say About Tears?

1, Tears of Grief and Sorrow:

(John 11:35 “Jesus Wept”)

St. Mary’s chaplain called our tears "holy water"
American novelist Washington Irving wrote, "There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than 10,000 tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief — and unspeakable love."
But we sorrow not as those who have no hope!

The Bible Speaks to our Sorrow!

Jesus said in John 16:20 – You might be grieving for a while – but someday -- Your sorrow will turn to great joy!

Isa. 51:11 -- “Therefore the redeemed of the Lord shall return and come with singing unto Zion – and everlasting joy shall be upon their heads. They shall obtain gladness and joy – and sorrow and sighing will flee away!

2. Tears of Suffering and Lament
Psalm 137 – “By the rivers of Babylon we sat down and wept
When we remembered Zion. We hung our harps on the willows

Psalm 42:3 – My tears have been my food day and night

The Bible Speaks to our Suffering!

Weeping May Endure for the Night – but Joy Comes in the Morning!

Hezekiah was suffering – cried out in prayer – and the Lord responded.
Isa. 38:5 – “I have heard your prayer and seen your tears.”

3. Tears of Heartfelt Reunion
Jacob and Esau – estranged – Gen 33:4 – But Esau ran to
Meet Jacob, and embraced him; he threw his arms around
His neck and kissed him. And they wept.
Joseph and Brothers – Gen 43-45
Terry Anderson – hostage late 80’s Lebanon nearly 7 yrs
Wife -- Madeline – planned what to say – but just cried.
My mother in accident. I was able to see her on Easter Sunday. They told me not to cry because It would upset her -- but as soon as I walked into the door, all we could do was cry. They were good tears! A heartfelt reunion!

The Bible speaks to our reunions!

Love one another deeply from the heart.

Col 3:13 – Bear w/ each other & forgive whatever grievances you have vs one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you!

4. Tears of Burden and Intercession
Lk. 13:34 – “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem – how I have longed How I have longed to gather you – but you would not.
Ps. 119:136 -- “Streams of water flow from my eyes, for your law is not obeyed.
Paul – I say again w/ tears that may live as ENEMIES of the cross.

Early logging days in Hayward -- Charles Johnson came
Preaching – but couldn’t get through – but then sang: "Where is my Wandering Boy Tonight?" and the lumberjacks all blubbered and Johnson had an open door for the Gospel!

The Bible speaks to our Burden!

The Lord reminds us to pray without ceasing (I Thess. 5:17) Pray without doubting (Mark 11:23) & to be FAITHFUL in prayer (Romans 12:12)

5. Tears of Reverent Worship
Luke 7:38 – “She washed his feet with her tears”
Blessing overflows
The question Jesus had for Peter at the end of John - -do you love me more than these??

The Bible speaks to our Worship!

Psalm 34 says, Taste and See that the Lord is Good. Blessed is the Man who Trusts in Him!


6. Tears of Sacrificial Responsibility
Acts 20 – Paul served Lord w/ humility and tears.
I have not ceased praying for you night and day w/ tears.

The Bible speaks to the overwhelmed heart:

Psalm 126:5-6:
“Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy!
He who goes forth weeping, carrying precious seed to so
will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him.”

7. Tears of Regret, Remorse and Repentance
Peter – Mat 26:75 – rooster crowed – wept bitterly
John Watson: Eyes made for seeing and weeping. Unless
We see our sin and weep over it like Peter, we will weep like Judas

Chet Davis a member of our church family wrote this poem:
O how many tears must fall before we accept the Savior?
Tears of remorse, regret and sinfulness – Jesus knows them all
Jesus wants to catch them before they fall
And wash them away with the blood
That he shed on the cross
And replace them with tears of forgiveness and joy
O how many tears must fall before we accept the Savior?

The Bible speaks to the wayward heart!

Acts 3:19 – “Repent then, and turn to God that your sins may be wiped out and that times of REFRESHING may come from the Lord.

Seek the Lord while He may be found. Call upon his name while he is near! (Isa 55:6)

And in the end – Revelation 21: 4-5: Glory!!! God will be WITH his people.
He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain – for the former things have passed away.

Behold I make ALL THINGS NEW!!

Comments

  1. o.k
    sweet old photo.
    but can u tell me where, who, what is the god?

    ReplyDelete
  2. mark o wilson8:37 PM

    The God is. . .
    Where -- Everywhere!
    Who -- The Alpha and Ometa, my Lord and Savior
    What -- Faithful, Loving, Just and True

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings