Surrender


Oh, the bitter shame and sorrow,
That a time could ever be
When I let the Savior's pity
Plead in vain, and proudly answered,
"All of self, and none of Thee!"

Yet He found me; I beheld Him
Bleeding on the accursed tree;
Heard Him pray, "Forgive them, Father."
And my wistful heart said faintly,
"Some of self, and some of Thee!"

Day by day His tender mercy,
Healing, helping, full and free,
Sweet and strong, and oh! so patient,
Brought me lower, while I whispered,
"Less of self, and more of Thee!"

Higher than the highest heavens,
Deeper than the deepest sea,
Lord, Thy love at last has conquered.
Grant me now my soul's petition,
"None of self, and all of Thee!"

-- Theodore Monod
Cyber Hymnal: O The Bitter Shame and Sorrow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession