I've been giving some thought to how we can help the younger people in our church engage more passionately in global missions. Here are a few of my observations:
- Younger Donors give to Specific Issues rather than Programs or Fields.
- Issues close to the hearts of younger donors: Clean drinking water for a village
c. Human Trafficking
d. Aids Orphans
e. Missional Church Planting
f. Justice issues – persecuted church
g. Tragedy – such as Haiti
- Younger Donors are more likely to give BY project – for issues.
a. i.e. Benefit concert
b. 30 Hour Famine
c. Ski for a cause
- Young Donors give relationally. How can we build relationships between the missionaries – our mission faith promise – and the young donors?
- Images speak louder than words to Young Donors.
- Young Donors give when they know their gift will really make a difference for a specific person.
a. i.e. youth group “adopts” an orphan
b. when they really know the missionary
- Young Donors give electronically. Web site, facebook – Pay Pal. – not by check.