Do You Know Who I Am?

A few years ago, my friend, the Illinois Wesleyan District Superintendent, Dr. Ray Barnwell and I were scheduled for an early morning flight after a week of teaching together in North Carolina.

Our mutual friend, John Vernon, offered to put us up the night before at a care facility he managed, Wesleyan Arms Nursing Home. “We often have extra room,” he noted, “and would gladly host you for the evening.”

That sounded like splendid idea!

So, Ray and I were dropped, suitcases in hand, at the doorstep of the nursing home.

Ray leaned towards me and whispered, “As soon as we’re settled in, I challenge you to a game of checkers in the day room!”

“You’re on!” I replied, “as long as we can catch some Lawrence Welk before the night is through!”

We entered the lobby, where a kind hearted receptionist glanced up from behind the welcome desk and smiled.

“Can I help you?”

I replied, “John Vernon said we could have a room here tonight.”

“Oh? He did,” she responded, perplexed. “Hmmm. Oh, mercy. I hate to tell you that our last room was taken just this afternoon!”

There was no room in the inn!

Now, here’s where I depart from what actually occurred, and render my own fabricated version of the story, especially when Ray is not around to defend himself.

Ray scowled, stepped forward with his hands on his hips and said, “Now, listen, lady, do you know who I am?”

She just smiled sweetly and said, “No honey, but if you come with me to the nurses’ station, we’ll both find out who you are!”

Now, of course that’s not how it ended. After escaping from the Wesleyan Arms Nursing Home, we just joked around, bummed a ride, ran across a busy highway, and had bar-b-que sandwiches. We didn’t get to play checkers or watch Lawrence Welk, but fortunately found a warm place for the night, and caught our early morning flights.

I relay this goofy little story, to ask you an important question: Do you know who you are?

Do you know that you were created by a God who loves you beyond the depths of imagination and that you were designed to bless others with your presence?

Do you know the truth about how precious and valuable you are?

If not, then, Honey, come with me to Jesus, and we’ll both find out who you are!

Comments

  1. Anonymous8:48 PM

    “Now, listen, lady, do you know who I am?”

    It really did not matter! All individuals are equal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings