A Great Resource for Rural Pastors


Today, my friend, Dann Pageler introduced me to Heartland Ministry Network, an outstanding new resource to help pastors in small communities (associated with Trinity Bible College.)

I was privileged to join them on a conference call with Shannon O'Dell, who I happened to quote on my blog earlier this morning (prompting Dann's e-mail.)

Shannon shared some keen insights on transformational ministry in the rural context. He really inspires me!
Some great thoughts from the conversation:
1. "Churches with less do more!"
2. "The less resources you have, the more you have to plan ahead."
3. "Resist the urge to settle."
4. "The goal of a rural church should be to reach the last, the lost and the least."
5. "Don't let church bullies (who want control without responsibility)
dictate the future direction of the congregation."
6. "Your marriage is a reflection of your walk with God.
7. "If you're weary, get away, pray, refresh your soul, write down your dreams and hopes
for your church, then go home and go for it!"
I'll be posting my review of his outstanding book, Transforming Church in Rural America, in a couple of weeks.

Comments

  1. Anonymous8:06 PM

    Numbers 4 and 5 really touched my heart.

    4. "The goal of a rural church should be to reach the last, the lost and the least."
    5. "Don't let church bullies (who want control without responsibility)
    dictate the future direction of the congregation."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession