The Spindly Bush

He was just an unsightly, spindly bush who lived in front of the police station in Waveland, Mississippi-- neglected and unnoticed -- until the annoyed chief gave the order:
"Cut that ugly thing down! It's blocking the view of the station."

And so, plans were made to remove the anemic, red tipped eyesore.

"What is my life worth?" the little bush wondered. "Am I good for anything? Nobody loves me. Nobody appreciates me. They just want me out of the way."

But then a better thought took hold of him.

"I don't care what others think. While I'm alive, I'll live! I may not be the prettiest bush on the block, but I'll do the best I can as long as I can with what I've got."

Thus, the spindly bush stood boldly right where he was planted in front of the Waveland Police Station-- and on August 29, 2005, he became a national hero.

The scraggly tree destined for destruction became the rescuer of 14 blue clad rescuers.

In the howling winds and raging floods of Hurricane Katrina, the officers clung to him for eight hours as their small town was demolished around them.

The spindly bush saved their lives and became a national treasure. They’ll never cut him down.

As far as I know, he’s the only spindly bush in history to make the news.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession