"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?"
5 Foundational Princles of Change
1) Change is life and life is change.
There's not an option. If you want to keep living, you have to go through change. It's a fact of life. When you stop changing, you stop growing! It is possible to change without growing, but all growth requires change!
A big question people ask: "When will things get back to normal?" Answer: Never. This is normal. Let's deal with it.
Good news -- God is unchangeable. Everything else might change -- but He doesn't. "In every change,
He, faithful, will remain."
More good news -- God uses changes to change us! He develops us and grows us through the painful transitions.
2) Change is always resisted.
Mark Twain said, "Nobody likes change except a baby with wet diapers."
Why do people resist change?
* Tradition (We've always done it this way.)
* Comfort Zone/Habit (don't ask me to stretch!)
* Fear of the unknown (What if I fail?)
* Unclear Purpose (Why do I need to change?)
3) People Adapt to change in different ways:
* 5% initiate change
* 10% are early responders -- quick to jump in!
* 70% go with the flow -- Agree when they get all of the facts.
* 10% are late responders -- They agree kicking and screaming.
* 5% shut down -- They kick and scream but never agree. If positive changes need to be made -- don't let the last 5% derail the mission.
4) Implementing Change
* Make Sure Your Purpose is Clear -- "Why Are We Doing This?" What's the bottom line?
* Sell the purpose, not the change -- Show the benefits of making this adjustment.
* People best agree to changes in an atmosphere of trust.
* Don't short-circuit the process -- Good adequate time for transition. * Not everyone will agree.
* Not everybody who disagrees is your enemy.
*Expect trouble -- Every change has a price tag.
* Remember, the best is yet to come!
5) What About Sacred Cows?
Answer: They Make Gourmet Hamburgers!