Lessons from a Long Term Pastorate
As Chuck Swindoll departed from Evangelical Free Church, Fullerton to become the President of Dallas Theological Seminary, he shared the following reflections with his congregation in a letter:
- I should tell people how I feel about them now, not later.
- things I'm not even aware of are noticed and remembered.
- being real is a lot better than looking pious.
- when you "fit" most things flow; they don't need to be forced.
- it doesn't pay to talk someone into or out of a big decision.
- days of maintenance are far more in number than days of magnificance.
- some people aren't going to change, no matter what.
- time spent with my family is a good investment.
- grace is worth the risk.
- thinking theologically pays off, big time.
- you can't beat fun.
- perception overshadows reality.