Don't Seek Advice from the Dead Guy

Here's great post from my friend, Ron McClung: 
I have a friend who lives in another country, where the predominant religion is not Christianity. He told me about some Christian schoolboys who were walking along, minding their own business. Some other boys stopped them and said, “Why are you Christians? Why don’t you become one of us?” and they named their religion.
Instead of giving a direct answer, one of the boys replied, “If you were going to a certain village, what if you lost your way and could not remember how to get there? If you saw two men lying in the grass, one of them dead and the other one alive, which one would you ask for directions?” 
The boy who asked the first question said, “I would ask the man who was alive, of course.” 
The wise young man said, “This is why we follow Jesus. He is not dead. He is alive.”What a great answer. He did not put down the other person’s religion. He simply affirmed his faith in a living Christ. 
Jesus told his followers, “In my Father’s house are many rooms; . . . I am going there to prepare a place for you. . . . I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.” But Thomas, who gained a reputation as a doubter, said, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”  Jesus replied, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:2-6 NIV).
On another occasion, some people who did not like Jesus’ message turned back and decided not to follow him any longer. He asked his disciples, “You do not want to leave too, do you?” 
This time, it was Peter who answered, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life” (John 6:67-68 NIV).
 How good God is to give us a clear road map to follow. When we know he is the way and we know he has the words of eternal life, why would we want to take any other path? 
Besides, as Yogi Berra said, “If you don’t know where you’re going, you may end up someplace else.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession