How I Celebrate My Sabbath

Recently, while reading Matthew Sleeth's new book, 24/6, I was challenged and inspired to be more intentional in how I celebrate my Sabbath.

I'm not referring to Sabbath keeping in some sort of negative, legalistic  way.  Rather, it's about taking a time period each week for personal refreshment, renewal and reconnecting (with God and loved ones.)

For years, when people asked me how I observed the Sabbath, I would say, "I take Mondays off."  The problem was, as Eugene Peterson noted so colorfully, "a day off is a bastard Sabbath."

Sundays don't do it for me either -- because it's a major work day.  I'm at the church by 6:00 a.m., and normally don't get home until 1:00 p.m., after preaching three times.  Preaching three half hour sermons feels as exhausting as digging ditches for eight hours.   At then end of that, I'm totally drained.

After prayerful reflection (as a result of reading Sleeth's masterful book) I found a Sabbath pattern that works great for me.  My Sabbath is a full day -- approximately 24 hours -- which starts at 1:00 p.m. Sunday and goes through lunch time on Monday.

During this time, I try to keep my calendar free from obligations and responsibilities.  Of course, there are occasional exceptions to that (such as a Sunday evening event.)  However, I try to guard this time as much as possible, and intentionally refrain from working in it.  I don't cut grass, do laundry, go to the hardware store, do counseling, plan ministry activities, write articles, or craft committee agendas.

Instead, I use this time to stop and replenish.  Yes, I will pray and read my Bible, but Sabbath keeping is much broader than routine "spiritual" activities.   I might go fishing, read a mystery, walk in the woods, go on a drive, watch a western, read poetry, observe nature or take a nap.  I might use this time to reconnect with Cathy, jam on the guitar, play a board game with my family, or call my mother.

Then, after lunch on Monday, I tackle the "Honey Do" list, go shopping and do chores around the house (and I might even stop in at the office.)

This works wonderfully for me and I thought I'd pass the practice along, just in case there's another pastor, somewhere, wondering how to discover Sabbath in the midst of busy living..

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession