Bless Your Neighbor Pies

“Love your neighbor as you love yourself.” -- Jesus

One mid-December Saturday, I received an unusual phone call from my friend, Chip.  A Sara Lee frozen pie semi truck was broken down in our community, and the freezer unit had malfunctioned.  The driver was in a quandary, trying to figure out how to get rid of 400 Sara Lee cherry pies before they went bad.  Thus, Chip called me, explaining the situation, and asked, “So, do you have any use for 400 frozen pies?

  "You bet!" I exclaimed.  I've always believed we should seize opportunities when they present themselves.  Immediately, my mind started whirling.  What could we do with all those pies?”

“I know!  I’ll turn this into a fund raiser, sell them to the congregation, and put the money in our building fund.”

Then the Spirit of God nudged my heart.

“Wrong answer.  I gave you those pies for another reason.  You are not to sell them,  You are to give them.  They are not “building fund” pies.  They are “bless your neighbor” pies.”

So, the next day at church, I explained about our bounty from heaven, given that we may give.  “Take a pie and bake it.  Then, go visit your neighbors and give it to them with a blessing.”

The results were amazing.  The next Sunday a half dozen neighbors showed up for church.

Too often, churches ask for things from the community rather than blessing and giving back.  They need to remember and apply the words they preach, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings