Don't Ask for It -- Ask for Him

 
This morning, I was inspired by something beautiful. The basic idea is from an old evangelist from 100 years ago named S. A. Keen.

When we our lack becomes evident -- and we realize we need more than we can possibly offer in order to make it through (rest, assurance, cleansing or power) our natural tendency is to ask for "it."  "God, please give me strength. . . God, please give peace. . ." But, often, those prayers only bring little trickles of help.

Instead of asking for "it", try asking for HIM.

"Lord, I don't need 'it' nearly as much as I need You. Please come, and fill my heart, my soul, my mind, my strength, my memories, my moments -- with YOU!  

If we ask for "it", we may or may not get it. But if we ask for HIM, He will come and bring it with Him!  He, alone, is our secret source of soul refreshment. 

The next time you pray, just say, "Lord, give me your Holy Spirit that I may know I am your child.  You will do it!  Amen!"    If you ask for Him, you will get Him and He will bring all energy, purity, power and peace you need.

As my friend, Daniel Henderson says, "when we seek His hand, we may miss His face, but when we seek His face, He will be glad to open His hand and satisfy the deepest desires of our hearts."

"If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" -- Luke 11:13

Comments

  1. Thank you for this post. I am an inner-city pastor. I'm seeking His face! I am seeking Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Darrel! Thanks for your comment. May the Lord bring great blessing to you, with His presence!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Apostles and Earrings