Wesleyan Apostolic Succession




I was ordained July 10, 1987, when General Superintendent, Dr. Earle Wilson, laid hands on me, shook my hand, and thundered, "Take thou authority to preach the Word!"

I was thinking about this a while back, and wondered how far back I could go with the succession of my ordination. So, I did a little research.

*   I was ordained by Earle Wilson
*   Earle Wilson was ordained by Pilgrim Holiness General Superintendent, William Neff.
*  William Neff was ordained by the Pilgrim founder, Seth Rees
*  Seth Rees was ordained by Nazarene founder, Phineas Bresee  (Note -- Rees was initally "recorded" as a Quaker, because they did not ordain their ministers.  Later, he moved over to the newly formed Church of the Nazarene, and I am taking a leap by assuming that when he became a Nazarene, they ordained him.  Rees was certainly worked beside Bresee as his contemporary.)
*  Phineas Bresee was ordained by Methodist Bishop, Levi Scott
*  Levi Scott was ordained by Elijah Hedding.
*  Elijah Hedding was ordained by Francis Asbury
*  Francis Asbury was ordained by a renegade Anglican priest named John Wesley
*  John Wesley was ordained by Anglican Bishop (of Oxford) John Potter.

*  From Potter -- there's a trail all the way back to St. Peter!  (You can see the Anglican list here.) (Potter is #163)

Now, how about that?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession