Back in Blogosphere

After a long hiatus from blogging, I've decided to start posting again.  At one time, Revitalize Your Church had a considerable following, and was often ranked among the leading ministry blogs.  Then, things happened.   My blogging slowed to a stand-still and the readership evaporated. Several have asked me why I stopped blogging.  Here is an explanation -- along with why I'm back in the saddle again:

First, I started writing books instead of blogs.  My friend, Keith Drury, told me, "blogging is jogging".  The book is the marathon.  But post-marathon (it has been two years since my last book), I failed to take up "jogging" (blogging) again.  It's time to get back into shape and hit the "writer's road"!  This is, perhaps, the only way to make the next book that is within me come to life.

Secondly, the church I loved and led, Hayward Wesleyan, was in need of revitalization.  The blog title, "Revitalize Your Church", mocked me every time I posted.  It felt hypocritical to encourage other church leaders to thrive, while my own leadership languished.  It was a difficult and painful season.  The "silver bullets" I shared when the church was in mega-growth mode (for over two decades), did not work in the unfamiliar season of decline.

Now, looking back, I can see clearly what God was doing.  He was purging me of complacency and preparing me for my next chapter of life and ministry at Southern Wesleyan University.  His vision for Hayward Wesleyan required fresh leadership.  My successor, Chad McCallum, is providing exactly what Hayward Wesleyan needed, and the church is thriving again under his excellent leadership.

Upon deep reflection, I've gained valuable insight and a fresh sensitivity to pastors who are struggling.  I now have something to say to those who have led themselves into a perplexing corner and don't know to proceed.   Besides equipping the rising generation of disciple-multiplying pastors in the classroom, a major part of my current role is to encourage those who serve in the ministry trenches.  Today, I have much more to offer regarding church revitalization than ever. "Revitalize Your Church" is certainly an appropriate vehicle for encouragement and equipping in my current context.

The third reason why I quit blogging was because of increased engagement with social media:  particularly Facebook.  Over the years, many of my posts at Revitalize Your Church were a short quote or pithy saying which fit better as a Facebook status.  My plan, moving forward, is to post less frequently - -but with more substance.  The quotes and pithy sayings, for the most part, will stay at Facebook where they belong.

My prayer is that this re-engagement with blogging will be a source of encouragement to you.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies