What Effective Boards Do Well

After leading or participating in over a thousand board meetings, I've concluded that the most effective boards have figured out how to do the following things well:

B --  Believe:  Operate by faith rather than fear.  Prayer for guidance is essential.  When faced with a big challenge, what you do next reveals what you really believe about God.

O --  Optimize:  Look for ways build up, strengthen and move forward.  Focus on the possibilities, rather than the problems.  No nit picking or circle spinning.

A --  Argue:  Perhaps I should say "argue constructively."  A good board is not just a bunch of rubber stampers.  Neither should it be a collection of cantankerous cranks.  On a healthy board, divergent viewpoints are encouraged and expressed positively.  The best outcomes occur after the various perspectives are weighed.  There's a way to disagree agreeably, keeping the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.  Of course, this requires humility, love and understanding.

R -- Respond:  Difficult issues come before every board.  The quality of the board is displayed in how it responds to them with wisdom, compassion, courage, and faith.  Most organizations are about two hard decisions from a breakthrough.

D -- Decide:  Whatever you do -- do something!  Don't just flap your jaws.  Refuse to be paralyzed by indecision and fruitless hashing.  God has called you to make good decisions -- so gather the facts, make the best decision you can together, then, once you leave the room, give full support and act on it.

Comments

  1. Is this from Stan Toler's book, "Practical Guide to Leading Church Boards?" Its good practical stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope not. It is something I recently found in my files, and to the best of my memory, I wrote it a while back in preparation for the first meeting of the year with a new church board. If I am mistaken, and this is Stan's work, please let me know, so I can give proper attribution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I didn't communicate my comment well, Stan Toler actually cites you in his book on this subject! I have appreciated this and its something that I have taken our board through during orientation for a couple of years. Appreciate your great practical insights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that is cool! I didn't know he cited me. :) That is an honor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies