I Went

I decided to attend the courthouse gathering this morning, (see last post) and am glad I did.

My earlier apprehension of a mob atmosphere was unfounded.

Pastor Ben was there too, and, as men of peace, our presence had a calming effect on the Sipe family and friends.

I gathered them all in a circle, and said a prayer, asking the Lord to give us his peace and strength for the day. I also prayed for Craig Sturdevant, that he would find his way.

Judge Yackel sentenced him to life in prison -- with a review in 20 years.

I'm glad that chapter is finally over.

The story unfolded of a broken young man, whose broken mother left him and his siblings to parent themselves. All of them have ended up in trouble with the law.

I left the courthouse heavy-hearted, wondering how many other children in our community are following this destructive path, and what can we do to turn them around?

I also felt a deep gratitude for those who serve in our Mentoring Program for Single Moms each Tuesday evening. Down the road, we will see how it really makes a difference.

I recall Keith Drury saying, "It's better to build a fence on the top of the cliff than a hospital at the bottom."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

My Updated Ordination Succession