I'll Praise my Maker


About 10:00 a.m. on March 2, 1791, the great spiritual leader, 87 year old John Wesley, died "without a struggle or groan."

The day before, in a final surge of strength, he sang the Isaac Watts hymn, "I'll Praise my Maker."

I’ll praise my Maker while I’ve breath,
And when my voice is lost in death,
Praise shall employ my nobler powers;
My days of praise shall ne’er be past,
While life, and thought, and being last,
Or immortality endures.

Why should I make a man my trust?
Princes must die and turn to dust;
Vain is the help of flesh and blood:
Their breath departs, their pomp, and power,
And thoughts, all vanish in an hour,
Nor can they make their promise good.


Through the night hours, the song remained in his heart and on his lips, as weakly, he whispered, "I'll praise. . . I'll praise. . ."

"The best of all is, God is with us!"

Comments

  1. Thanks for this Historical reminder.
    I shred it with our Wed. Night Folks and none of them knew this story of Wesley's death.
    Later

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If This Is Not A Place. . .

Cookies