I'm not really a party animal. In fact, usually, if I'm invited to a party of some sort or another, I try to find a good reason to graciously decline the invitation. It's not that I don't enjoy people, mind you. In general, they're fantastic. Like Will Rogers said, "I've never met a man I didn't like." I am thankful for all my good friends. Yep, I like people a lot -- but I dislike going to parties. (Although, if I get stuck and actually end up attending one, it usually turns out better than I imagined. In the car, on the way home, I've heard Cathy say more than once, "There now, that wasn't so bad, was it?" I reply with a mumble and grunt, because I know she's right. Still -- I'm not an eager party-goer, and seriously doubt if I will ever become one. Do you know what kind of party is the most common? Birthday? Graduation? Aniversary? You'll never guess! The party held most frequently is. . . The Pity Party! As a minis...
Reading the Bible is only part of it. Many Bibles get read in church, but the readers fail to follow HIS WORD.
ReplyDeleteMark - that puts a greater importance on the reading of scripture on Sunday mornings and requires a determination to preach at a deeper level. Remember Stott's Langham logic "But the standards of preaching and clear exposition of the Bible are sadly very poor or non-existent in so many parts of the world. Even in many churches that call themselves ‘evangelical’, the Bible is hardly ever preached in a simple, systematic and applied way."
ReplyDeleteSeriously? How can this be? That's really sad. Is that true for our church?
ReplyDeleteI do believe that I will have to add that to my prayers for God to prepare His church/His bride. Thanks for making me aware.