I was ordained July 10, 1987, when General Superintendent, Dr. Earle Wilson, laid hands on me, shook my hand, and declared, "Take Thou Authority to Preach the Word!" I was thinking about that recently, and began to wonder how far back I could go with the succession of my ordination. So, I did a little research. I was ordained by Earle Wilson Earle Wilson was ordained by Pilgrim Holiness General Superintendent, William Neff William Neff was ordained by the Pilgrim founder, Seth Rees Seth Rees was ordained by Nazarene founder, Phineas Bresee Phineas Bresee was ordained by Methodist Bishop, Levi Scott Levi Scott was ordained by Elijah Hedding. Elijah Hedding was ordained by Francis Asbury Francis Asbury was ordained by a renegade Anglican priest named John Wesley John Wesley was ordained by Anglican Bishop (of Oxford) John Potter. From Potter -- there's a trail all the way back to St. Peter!! You can see the chart here. (Potter is at the bottom of the page #90. Now, how abo...
Reading the Bible is only part of it. Many Bibles get read in church, but the readers fail to follow HIS WORD.
ReplyDeleteMark - that puts a greater importance on the reading of scripture on Sunday mornings and requires a determination to preach at a deeper level. Remember Stott's Langham logic "But the standards of preaching and clear exposition of the Bible are sadly very poor or non-existent in so many parts of the world. Even in many churches that call themselves ‘evangelical’, the Bible is hardly ever preached in a simple, systematic and applied way."
ReplyDeleteSeriously? How can this be? That's really sad. Is that true for our church?
ReplyDeleteI do believe that I will have to add that to my prayers for God to prepare His church/His bride. Thanks for making me aware.